Monday 18 October 2010

Comics | Introduction | Rhyme as Image


Week 22 | Comics | Contents

Tuesday | Poetry | Interview with Jon Stone

I seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band
I seen a needle that winked its eye
But I be done seen 'bout ev'rything
When I see a elephant fly...

Have you ever seen a rhyme?

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

I have been thinking about representing rhyme as image. What would a couplet look like for instance? Perhaps it would be two images that share shapes as words share sounds. Could a comic be poem? Clearly an idea better expressed and tested on the page - so I wrote/scribbled this pantoum about a red-faced man, a bird and a clock.


James Harringman
Editor-in-chief

2 comments:

  1. This could be a whole new genre, James! I'm inspired to have a go at something like this myself some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, please do! I would be very interested to see the result. I think I will have another go at it myself. Possibly explore the idea of half-rhymes being represented as two elements that share a single characteristic.

    ReplyDelete